Space for the ORCID working group. To participate in the group please sign up to the mailing list.
Proposer: Laura Paglione.
The following terms apply to all REFEDS Working Groups:
- When a working group is agreed, REFEDS Participants will be asked if they wish to participate. Working Groups tend to be small, so consensus can be achieved quickly between participants.
- A chair for the group is chosen from the REFEDS Participants.
- TERENA provides facilities for the working group, including meeting support, wiki space, mailing lists and, where appropriate, funding.
- An appropriate output from the group is produced. Currently, this is typically a draft white paper or a wiki page.
- When the Working Group is in agreement, the chair shares the outputs with the wider REFEDS community with an open period for discussion and comment. This is typically a period of 4 weeks, but may be longer if appropriate.
- After this period of time, the REFEDS Steering Committee signs off on the work item. Work is either written up as a formal white paper, left on the wiki but promoted as finished work or occasionally submitted as an Internet Draft.
The Group published a paper of recommendations in April 2017. This paper was presented during TNC17. The paper covers the initial remit of the group:
- ORCID as an IdP. Work together on a short paper about the pros and cons of ORCID as an IdP. (Discussion Page)
- Promoting use of federated access for ORCID as an SP.
- Working with MACE to promote the use of eduPersonORCID.
- Exploring ways of authoritatively binding one's IdP identity with one's ORCID iD.
- Pushing a researcher's ORCID ID securely from ORCID.org to his/her Home Organisation where it can be used in IdM, IdP, CRIS, HR,... (pptx)
- ORCID and strong self-service identity vetting (by a researcher coupling his/her ORCID ID to his/her manuscript during the submission process)
Upcoming work items
The following will be the focus of the working group for the next several months:
- Ensuring the implementation of the working group recommendations
- Development of a set of reference uses for ORCID to aid adoption
- Explore ORCID as an attribute store
- Explore use of ORCID in strong, self-service identity vetting
- Notes from bi-weekly meetings: February 2017 through April 2017
- November 3, 2016, 12:00 US Eastern
- October 20, 2016, 12:00 US Eastern