From time-to-time, REFEDS supports the activities of a small number of working groups aimed at either supporting dialogue among small sub-sets of people or to address specific goals. The REFEDS policy for working groups is as follows:
- When a working group is agreed, REFEDS Participants will be asked if they wish to participate. Working Groups tend to be small, so consensus can be achieved quickly between participants.
- A chair for the group is chosen from the REFEDS Participants.
- GÉANT provides facilities for the working group, including meeting support, wiki space, mailing lists and, where appropriate, funding.
- An appropriate output from the group is produced. Currently, this is typically a draft white paper or a wiki page.
- When the Working Group is in agreement, the chair shares the outputs with the wider REFEDS community with an open period for discussion and comment. This is typically a period of 4 weeks, but may be longer if appropriate.
- After this period of time, the REFEDS Steering Committee signs off on the work item. Work is either written up as a formal white paper, left on the wiki but promoted as finished work or occasionally submitted as an Internet Draft.
All group proposals should complete the following template for the group. This will then be socialised on the REFEDS list and sent to the REFEDS SC for approval.
REFEDS currently supports the following Working Groups:
Proposed Working Groups:
Previous Working Groups: